Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Luck

Four-leaf clovers I found in Rose Park today:


I was once sitting at an outdoor Quaker meeting when a woman said, "Oh, I just found a four-leaf clover, and I never would have found it if I had been looking for it. Happiness is like that -- you find it while you are doing something else. . . ."

I thought (but did not say -- this was after I got over the worst of my adolescent snarkiness), That's all wrong! If you have a basic understanding of the genetic mechanism behind four-leaf-cloverism, and use that to formulate a search strategy that you apply on a large scale, you can find hundreds of four-leaf clovers. And that's how I feel about happiness. If you don't know what you want and have a plan for getting it that you are willing to work at, it is unlikely to fall into your lap.

1 comment:

ArEn said...

Hey, that's our cup!