Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The Family I Married Into

My wife discovers that you never know what you'll find when you start exploring the family tree:
Dear Sir:

About 1893 the government sent me a discharge and what has become of it I do not know. (I think my wife secretly destroyed it, as she was a "Southern" woman, or rather, harlot. I lived with her for 23 years, a hell on earth, until I could stand it no more. In 1894 my Brother came from Pittsburgh, with his two (2) sons and a daughter, "down and out." I took them in until they could get upon their feet, she (my wife) fell in love with the youngest son and had frequent intercourse. I left her in 1895 but could not find my "discharge" and I still accuse her. She got a divorce and married my brother's son - him x years old and she 41. So much for that...) Now I apply for a duplicate discarge.

In first place, I enlisted in latter part of July 1863 in 20th Pennsylvania Volunteers, Col Thomas Commanding. Either in Company H or I, I think ….. Genl Lee raided Pennsylvania and burnt Chambersburg. We got as far as Greencastle, when Lee escaped. Governor Curtin came to Greencastle, made a speech thanking us for our services and dismissed us. I came home and the next month on the 8th enlisted for 3 years, in the 2nd Pennsylvania Heavy Artillery Company G, then on the defensive at Washington D.C. I was assigned to Fort Thayer. Following February we were ordered to the front being transferred into infantry. We went to Fort Ethan Allen (across the Potomac river) until new recruits came (which was pretty soon) then left for CoalHarbor; had a pretty good shaking up; thence to "light house point"; thence to City point; march 7 miles to relieve the army that had been fighting all day (both white black). That night a little after dark we had taken a fort of 14 guns, under a terrible cross fire from the enemy. Thence moved to the … rail-road within 1 1/2 of Petersburg, where was received quite warmly. About latter part of July '64 I was taken with Typhoid Fever and sent to General Hospital, from there to Hospital at Fort Scyler N-York. There, with other Pennsylvania sick soldiers, received a Furlough home (Philadelphia) to report to the McCl----- Hospital, Nicetown, PA. There until following Feb '65; back to the "front" my Reg't lying then at Bermuda-hundred between the Appomatox and James River. Gen'l Weitzel (lying on the south side of the of the the James River) call'd for reinforcements but wanted "men only" that understood the Artillery drill. So he was given 5 men out of each company of our regiment and I was one of them. I was put in Battery no 2, ---Fort Harrison at Chapmans' farm. Two days after, Lieutenant Wheeler (forgot his first name) inspecting Gen'l of the light artillery brigate, picked me out as his orderly, thus I was among the very first to enter Richmond, as Wheeler was one of Gen'l Weitzel's staff. I say right here that I had the honor of standing by my horse (waiting orders to mount) of seeing the last 4 cannon fired from the north side of Richmond. That was on the 3rd of April '65 and 4 oclock still dark. We got no return. The enemy had evacuated we could see gun boats at Richmond going up in the air, and at 8-15 we marched up Main St Richmond; in Richmond 10 days, thence to Poplar spring church 15 miles below Petersburg. From there were sent back to our Reg't which was lying in Petersburg. Whilst there the 6th Massachusetts Cavely [sic] was ordered home and their horses were turned over to my reginment, and we were scattered among the different county court houses, I to Surry Court House, Virginia. I was there until Christmas week 1866 when I came home, a foolist thing for me to do. We were guarding the Negroes from being flogged by the whites. Just think of it, my Regiment came home the next week! or month. My charge of desertion has been removed, the stigma of which I do not feel so bad as it was 8 months after the war was over. I had a document sent to me to the effect that the charge was removed, but God knows what became of it. Of course it is recorded in Washington. Now as far as my memory serves me I send you the above and wil feel greateful for a deup0licate Discahrge so as I can get my increase of pension. I draw my pension from Phila PA $12.00 per month.

Yours Very Respectfully
Louis M Dardine
2nd Pennsylvania Heavy Artillery Company G Volunteers, Private
Palatka Flordai Box 485

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is absolutely fascinating. Where did y'all find it? Does the family still have a copy of these records, did you get them from army files, or what?

ArEn said...

Ancestry.com. I'm hooked! I connected up with another member (very distant relative) who had transcribed the letter from the Nat'l Archives.