Sunday, August 25, 2013

Maymont Park

Yesterday I walked around Maymont Park in Richmond, Virginia with three of my own children, a niece, a nephew, and my father. I have loved Maymont since I was a child myself, and I love sharing it with my own children. It was a gorgeous day, but so bright that most of my pictures are washed out. View down toward the James River from the Italian Garden.

My daughter Clara (left), niece Zoey, and nephew Simon feed the goats in the Children's Farm.

The young ones charge up the big hill to roll or run down. Simon managed to fall down before even started. After I took these pictures I went up myself; I elected to run down rather than roll.

Clara and Zoey inspect a black bear from close range.

In his mind, my son Ben is charging into battle on a bear, battle ax in one hand. Picture by my elder daughter.

The bamboo thicket, my favorite place to play hide-and-seek. Since it was hot and people were tired from running up the hill, we played only one round today.

 Big and little waterfalls.

 Stone lion by the Grotto.

 Koi pond in the Japanese Garden.
 Clara and Zoey pose by the Lion Fountain.

 Roses in the Italian Garden.

 Ben charges his enemies, and they scatter before him like leaves in the wind.

I don't know how this branch came to grow like this, but it looks designed for group photographs.

No comments: